After returning from Bowdoin Glacier, we organized a workshop to discuss with people from Qaanaaq village on 25th July. The aim of this workshop was to report our research activities, learn from the locals about the impact of climate change on their society, and discuss sustainable future of Qaanaaq. Through the workshop, we intended to exchange our experiences and ideas for collaborative relationship in the future. As many of the people do not use English, we arranged interpreter between Greenlandic and English.
The venue was filled with more than 50 people from Qaanaaq, various generations and gender. Researchers from Hokkaido University, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, and others explained research activities in the region. The audience listened to our talks with great interests. There are many insightful questions and useful comments. One of the most impressive comments for me was, "Nowadays we eat more western food and less traditional food such as meat of whales and seals. Then, I feel we are less energetic than before...."
This workshop turned out to be a great opportunity to interact with local people in Qaanaaq and learn from them.
Izumi Asaji (Hokkaido University)
Qaanaaq observation members: Shin Sugiyama, Evgeniy Podolskiy, Naoya Kanna, Daiki Sakakibara, Yoshihiko Ohashi, Izumi Asaji, Yasushi Fukamachi, Bungo Nishizawa（Hokkaido University）, Shintaro Yamasaki（Kitami Institute of Technology）
Other posts of Qaanaaq observation
- Field observation in Qaanaaq, northwestern Greenland (From Qaanaaq 1)
- Field campaign in Bowdoin Glacier, Greenland (From Qaanaaq 2)
- Oceanographic observation in the Bowdoin fjord near Qaanaaq, northwestern Greenland (From Qaanaaq 3)
- Research expedition on the northwestern Greenland Ice Sheet 1 - Maintenance of Auto Weather Station -
- Research expedition on the northwestern Greenland Ice Sheet 2 - Geophysical survey at Bowdoin Glacier, northwest Greenland (6-17 July 2017) -
- Workshop with Qaanaaq village people
- Ocean observations in Bowdoin Fjord, Northwest Greenland
- Ice cap and outlet stream observations in Qaanaaq, northwestern Greenland
- Workshop with the residents of Qaanaaq in Greenland
- Ocean measurements in Inglefield Fjord and workshop with the residents of Qeqertat Village in Greenland
- Field observations of surface mass balance and meltwater discharge on Qaanaaq Ice Cap, northwestern Greenland
- Field observation in Bowdoin Glacier, northwestern Greenland
- Oceanographic observation in Inglefield Fjord and workshop with residents in Qeqertat Village, northwestern Greenland